Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Life Cycles: Cornish Cross: Week 1


A new batch of chicks arrived on Wednesday March 6th.  I got a text first thing that morning to say they’d arrived at a local farm and that I should pick them up right away.  I rearranged my day and hurried out the door in order to be there before 10:15 am.

As I pulled out of the drive, it began snowing and I cranked the heat in the Prius (my one and only all purpose “farm” vehicle), to warm the interior for the chicks.

Handing over my small cardboard box to the farmer, he returned it with a dozen fuzzy yellow chicks nestled inside.

I was running low on bedding so I swung by the local feed store to pick up some pine shavings for the peepers, on my way back.

Back at home, I filled the 100 gallon stock tank with deep bedding, added a food pan and a water despenser and turned on the heat lamp.  I moved the chicks into their new home and congratulated myself that for the first time, I finally had a system that was ready to go within 5 minutes.

One less thing to thick about, as I headed out the door to restock my empty larder at the local food co-op before the snow got too bad.



This photo was taken on March 7th.  I know it’s difficult to get a sense of how tiny, but the chick is standing between a deck of cards and a coaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment